Thursday, April 14, 2011

Report Viewer Parameters in Visual Studio 2010 - No Code

Hi Folks,

I've been trying since a long time finding an article of how to pass parameters to a Report Viewer control in Visual Studio 2010, but most of the articles needs lots of code to be written.

But, now I have found the way to create a report and pass parameters easily with only 1 line of code, yes I am serious 1 line of code!! :)

And below I will describe the steps with screen shots:
1- You need to create a new Visual Studio Web Site:


2- Then you will have an empty web site.


3- Now, I will create a new database with one table with three columns (ID, Name, City):



Then fill it with some data:

 Now I will create a data set for the Contacts table:

 Now I will Rebuild the web site:



Now, we need to add reference to Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms:
Make sure to select Version 10.0.0.0


Now, I will create a report:




Save the report.

Now, I will start to build the page of the report:
- Add a DropdownList and a Button:

- Drop a Script Manager control into the page:

- Drop a ReportViewer control:

- Choose the Report we created before, and an ObjectDataSource will be created directly:








- On the Click event of the button write the only Code you need to write to refresh the report:
ReportViewer1.LocalReport.Refresh()





Congratulations!! the web site is ready and the report takes the parameter and refreshes.

Happy programming!
Saed


12 comments:

  1. Nice article, helped me a lot, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great sample, thanks for sharing.
    How can I get the dropdown to fill with values from a data field instead of what I put in the list items?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! Saved me lots of time on my project. Keep posting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks I've been looking for hours for something like this! I filled the dropdown with values from a table by adding an SQL datasource, configuring it to get the values I wanted then binding the Datasource to the DropDown list. Also instead of using a button you can just enable Postback on the DropDownlist and add the refresh code to the SelectedIndexChanged event of the Dropdown. I also added an all record option to the dropdown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this. Helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are the greatest!!! you dont no how much you have helped me man!!! i will always follow your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, thank you so much, so much. Helped me a lot. Thank you very much for this tutorial, nothing else better than this. Muito Obrigado, Ivan, Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent, Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks very much! I searched for quite awhile for this parameter part!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you very much...
    it help me direct UI is great way...man

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am happy it helped you guys ...

    Please note that I have moved this blog to: saedshaar.com

    Happy programming!
    Saed

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have done everything, but report is not showing anything after selecting the paramter

    ReplyDelete